Delta Entry Requirements
The basic entry requirements are as follows. Candidates should:
- be at least 21 years old and educated to degree level
- hold an initial English teaching certificate, such as the CELTA
- have at least 2 years’ experience of teaching English as a foreign language post initial qualification
- be able to demonstrate a high level of understanding of the English language as well as the principles and practice of English language teaching.
However, there are a few other things to bear in mind before you decide that now is the time to download our Delta application.
In judging your own readiness for the course, it isn’t just the quantity of the teaching experience you have had after your initial qualification that you should think about, it’s also the quality. Ideally, you should not just have had experience teaching a wide range of levels and some types of class other than general English (e.g. exam classes, EAP or business English), you should also have been working with highly experienced and well qualified teachers who have been able to observe you from time to time and give you advice on your teaching and who have shared their knowledge of resources and effective teaching practice with you, either informally or in the form of teacher workshops.
Before you embark on a Delta course, you should feel that you no longer recognize the awkward and inexperienced teacher you were at the end of your CELTA course. You should, for example, be able to recognize at a glance the teaching approach being taken by unfamiliar teaching materials, see quickly the language that students will need to perform effectively in a new communicative activity and feel confident that you are able to answer correctly most questions about grammar, lexis or pronunciation that a student might throw at you.
You will be aware, however, that there are many ways in which you could still improve and develop as a teacher and you will be looking for the opportunity to do this which the Delta can provide.
If you decide you are ready to take the next step, download our Delta application. Alternatively, find out more about the IH Bangkok and IH Chiang Mai Delta course by visiting our centre in Bangkok or Chiang Mai, or you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Delta Modules (Diploma in English Language Teaching) is an internationally recognized advanced teaching qualification for those who already have substantial experience in teaching English to speakers of other languages and are ready to progress in their chosen career. The Delta will help you to:
- Deepen your understanding of the principles and practice of teaching the English language to adults
- Examine your current practices and beliefs
- Apply the results of your learning and reflection to your current teaching position and more senior roles.
The Cambridge Delta is the best known and most widely taken diploma level qualification in ELT. Because it is awarded by Cambridge Assessment English, part of the world famous University of Cambridge, you can rely on its quality and recognition.
The Delta is accepted throughout the world by organisations which employ English Language teachers, especially at the more senior levels such as Director of Studies positions and beyond!
Every Centre is approved by Cambridge Assessment English, and every course is moderated by an external assessor and follows a set syllabus. This means that the Cambridge Delta is to the same high standard wherever it is taken.
The Delta Entry Task
Along with the standard application form, you will also be asked to submit the following information and tasks (dependent on which course type you choose) before being accepted on the course:
- A lesson plan and evaluation: details of a lesson you taught recently, including level, group, context, aims, materials and effectiveness, including strengths and weaknesses.
- Language Awareness Task.
- Essay: An example would be the analysis of a group of students you have taught, identifying the difficulties in one of the following areas:
- Listening skills
- Specific grammar point
- Writing skills.
- Teaching Experience: a concise list of your teaching experiences to date.
- Materials: a brief list of the published teaching materials that you have used and are the most familiar with.
To avoid disappointment, we strongly advise you to apply early. That way, you can be sure of getting the course date and accommodation you want. Click on Delta application to download the form.
For further information and a copy of the syllabus, visit the Cambridge Assessment English website.