The Official Cambridge CELTA Entry Requirements:
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- You must have finished high school/secondary education and be able to start a degree level course.
- You must have an advanced level of English, equivalent to C1 or IELTS Band 7*.
- You do not need a degree.
- You must have the potential and desire to develop the necessary skills to become an effective teacher and to successfully complete the written assignments and teaching practice.
*You must have an awareness of language and a competence in English, both written and spoken, that enables the course to be undertaken successfully. If you are non-native speaker of English, although no official test result such as the CAE or IELTS is required, your level of English will be determined during the application and interview stage.
Here are a few of our own ‘unofficial requirements’ you might want to consider before applying. They are not meant to scare you off, just put you in a realistic frame of mind!
- You really want to teach English.
- You have at least some understanding of the way English works or are a quick learner.
- You relate well to other people.
- You want a practical teaching qualification, not an academic one.
- You can evaluate your own strengths and weaknesses as well as others.
- You can explain succinctly, instruct clearly, and assist sympathetically.
- You are prepared for four weeks of hard work, but will cope.