The Official Cambridge CELTA Entry Requirements:
- You must be at least 18 years old, although it is generally recommended that candidates should be 20 or over.
- You must have an awareness of language and a competence in English, both written and spoken, that enables the course to be undertaken successfully. There isn’t a fixed rule for your level of English, but we normally recommend a level of C1 or higher.
- You must have the potential and desire to develop the necessary skills to become an effective teacher and to successfully complete the written assignments and teaching practice.
Here are a few of our own ‘unofficial requirements’ you might want to consider before applying. They are not meant to scare you off, just put you in a realistic frame of mind!
- You really want to teach English.
- You have at least some understanding of the way English works or are a quick learner.
- You relate well to other people.
- You want a practical teaching qualification, not an academic one.
- You can evaluate your own strengths and weaknesses as well as others.
- You can explain succinctly, instruct clearly, and assist sympathetically.
- You are prepared for four weeks of hard work, but will cope.
If this sounds like you, read more about our courses here.