Assessing and Developing Young Learners' Speaking Skills Course
IH Bangkok & Chiang Mai is pleased to offer a unique online young learners course that trains teachers to not only accurately assess young learners’ speaking skills, but also teaches them how to effectively develop their students’ speaking skills. This is an extremely practical course that isn’t available anywhere else and is exclusive to IH Bangkok & Chiang Mai, the largest Cambridge CELTA and Delta course provider in the world.
The course is run by an experienced Cambridge Young Learner Examiner who has been teaching YLs for over 20 years and has been assessing YLs since 2012. During the course we look at the different assessment criteria for the various age groups as well as abilities, and have practice is assessing young learners and interpreting the criteria. We will also present effective ideas and activities to use in the classroom to develop the students’ speaking skills. On completion of the course, teachers will walk away being much more confident and accurate when assessing students’ speaking skill as well as more effective in helping their students ace the speaking exam.
This course is suited to
- teachers who are, or plan to, teach the international YL speaking exams
- teachers who want to become better at developing YL speaking skills
All participants will be presented with a professional certificate confirming that they have been trained in assessing young learners in speaking exams that will impress in any job interview as well as any pushy parent. The course is online so applicants are welcomed to apply wherever they are in the world.
In order to develop speaking skills in younger learners, we need to understand what these skills are. The course takes you through the criteria used in international tests, with the idea of seeing how these can inform us in planning activities that will help our young learners become better speakers.
During the course trainees will attend 9 hours (6 x 90 min sessions) of training that:
- looks into what constitutes communicative ability in children of different age groups: when we assess speaking skills, what exactly is assessed?
- discusses what’s behind each criterion used to assess children of different age groups, and how applying different sets of criteria for younger/older children makes assessment more successful;
- explores how ways of assessing speaking can be adapted to your context;
- trains you to give more accurate assessment of your students’ speaking abilities, to know exactly what needs to be improved and how it can be done;
- allows you to walk away with a range of techniques and activities to develop speaking skills; build up confidence and gain more control in what’s going on in your classroom when it comes to speaking activities.
- gives you your first step to be a future oral YL examiner.
All participants will get a formal certificate of completion confirming that they have been professionally trained in assessing speaking skills by a Cambridge Delta qualified trainer and assessor. This isn’t a course that is available anywhere else and is exclusively offered by the largest Cambridge teaching training centre in the world.
- Monday 2nd November, 18:00 – 21:15 Thai time
- Tuesday 3rd November, 18:00 – 21:15 Thai time
- Wednesday 4th November, 18:00 – 21:15 Thai time
- Saturday 14th November, 09:00 – 15:00 Thai time
- Sunday 15th November, 09:00 – 15:00 Thai time
- Monday 7th December, 18:00 – 21:15 Thai time
- Tuesday 8th December, 18:00 – 21:15 Thai time
- Wednesday 9th December, 18:00 – 21:15 Thai time
- USD $200 for the 9 hours Assessing & Developing YLs Speaking Skills
- USD $150 – 25% discount for anyone enrolling on the CELTA or has previously done the CELTA with us.
The course is open to everyone and it is aimed at teachers currently teaching young learners or plan to teach young learners in the future. The course uses Zoom and is online so applicants can apply wherever they are in the world.
For further details or to apply please email [email protected]