For people wishing to settle in the UK, a certificate of competence in the English language is required as part of the visa application process. The UK Visas and Immigration has stated that this requirement now covers “anyone applying as the husband, wife, civil partner, unmarried partner, same-sex partner, fiance(e) or prospective civil partner of a UK citizen”. This means that every Thai wishing to settle in the UK has to pass an English language test (IELTS Life Skills) before applying for a visa (Spousal visa) from the British embassy in Thailand.
- 16-18 minutes long and will consist of only speaking and listening.
- Listening and responding to spoken language, including simple narratives, statements, questions and single-step instructions
- Communicating basic information, feelings and opinions on familiar topics
- Talking with another person in a familiar situation about familiar topics
Even though the requirements are at a low level, we understand that for many adults, taking a test can be a scary. As a partner of British Council for the IELTS Life Skills, International House Bangkok is here to help.
How IH Bangkok Can Help You Pass
Come in today for a 500 baht mock test so that we can find out if you require additional English classes to pass the exam.
Once you complete your mock test, we will recommend one of three options:
- If your English is strong enough to pass without problem, we would recommend signing up for the exam with British Council. The exam at British Council is 7,395 baht.
- If you are close to passing, but could use a bit of practice in order to pass, we would recommend a 5 day, 15-hour “Pass the IELTS Life Skills” course. This course is 5,000 baht, but we will discount the 500 baht from the Mock Test for a total cost of 4,500 baht.
- If your English is low, we will recommend a 10 day, 30-hour “Language for IELTS Life Skills” (9,000 baht) alongside “Pass the IELTS Life Skills” (5,000 baht). You can join the 30-hour course, then take the 15-hour course, then take the exam at British Council. This 30-hour course is 9,000 baht, but if you sign up for both courses and the exam with the British Council, we will give you a 2,000 baht discount and the mock test for free.
Pass the IELTS Life Skills
The 15-hour “Pass the IELTS Life Skills” course is designed around the actual test and focuses solely on the skills needed in order for you to answer all questions clearly and confidently. After this course you will know exactly what to expect during the exam. This course will run 5 days before the actual IELTS Life Skills exam at British Council.
Language for IELTS Life Skills
The 30-hour “Language for IELTS Life Skills” course is designed to teach you the necessary language for the test. This is a longer course and focuses more on the specific English needed in order to pass the exam. This course will run for 12 days (with two days break) directly before the “Pass the IELTS Life Skills” course.