For people wishing to settle in the UK, a certificate of competence in the English language is required as part of the visa application process. The UK Visas and Immigration has stated that this requirement now covers “anyone applying as the husband, wife, civil partner, unmarried partner, same-sex partner, fiance(e) or prospective civil partner of a UK citizen”. This means that every Thai wishing to settle in the UK has to pass an English language test (IELTS Life Skills) before applying for a visa (Spousal visa) from the British embassy in Thailand.
- 16-18 minutes long and will consist of only speaking and listening.
- Listening and responding to spoken language, including simple narratives, statements, questions and single-step instructions
- Communicating basic information, feelings and opinions on familiar topics
- Talking with another person in a familiar situation about familiar topics
Even though the requirements are at a low level, we understand that for many adults, taking a test can be a scary. As a partner of British Council for the IELTS Life Skills, International House Bangkok is here to help.
How IH Bangkok Can Help You Pass
If you need help, we will provide a free initial interview, over phone or in-person, and will then recommend one of two options based on your current level of English:
Very Low Level of English
If your English is quite low, we will recommend a 15 day, 45-hour “Language for IELTS Life Skills“. This course will run the three weeks prior to the exam at British Council. This 45-hour course is 21,000 baht, but if you sign up for the course and the exam with the British Council, we will give you a 2,000 baht discount.
The 45-hour “Language for IELTS Life Skills” course is designed to teach you the necessary language for the test. This is a longer course and focuses more on the specific English needed in order to pass the exam. This course will run for 3 weeks (with 2 day off every 7 days) directly before the exam at the British Council.
Low Level of English
If you are close to passing, but need to familiarize yourself with the exam, improve confidence, and learn keywords and phrases to use on the exam:
- A 2-day, 12-hour “Pass the IELTS Life Skills” course. This will run the two days before the exam at IDP Bangkok. We will also give a free mock exam at the end of the course so you can experience the exam before taking it. The price for this course is 7,500 Baht
- A 5 day, 15-hour “Pass the IELTS Life Skills” course. This is almost the exact same course as the 12-hour course above, but is slightly longer and held over 5-days. This course will run the 5 days before the exam at British Council. The price for this course is 8,000 baht.
The 12-hour and 15-hour “Pass the IELTS Life Skills” course is designed around the actual test and focuses solely on the skills needed in order for you to answer all questions clearly and confidently. After this course you will know exactly what to expect during the exam.