- You must be at least 18 years old although it is generally recommended that candidates should be 20 or over.
- You must have an awareness of language and a competence in English, both written and spoken, that enables the course to be undertaken successfully.
- You must have the potential to develop the necessary skills to become an effective teacher and to successfully complete the written assignments and teaching practice.
- Only candidates that have formal qualifications which would allow entry into higher education in their own country are likely to be successful in gaining a place on the course.
You might also want to think about…
Here are a few of our own ‘unofficial requirements’ you might want to consider before applying. They are not meant to scare you off, just put you in a realistic frame of mind!
- You really want to teach English.
- You have at least some understanding of the way English works or are a very quick learner.
- You relate well to other people.
- You want a practical teaching qualification, not an academic one.
- You can evaluate your own strengths and weaknesses as well as others.
- You can explain succinctly, instruct clearly, and assist sympathetically.
- You are prepared for four weeks of hard work, but will cope.
If you are ready to take the next step in becoming an English language teacher, click on CELTA application to download the form.. If you want to find out more about the IH Bangkok CELTA course at one of our centres, go to Bangkok, Chiang Mai or Phuket. Alternatively, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults) is an initial training course. It is aimed at people with no previous teaching experience or those who are already working but with no formal training, or professional qualifications. This highly regarded certificate enables newly qualified teachers to find their first teaching position. It is intended for native English speakers or those with near-native proficiency.
The Cambridge CELTA is the best known and most widely taken initial certificate of its kind. Because it is awarded by Cambridge ESOL, part of the world famous University of Cambridge, you can rely on its quality and recognition.
CELTA is accepted throughout the world by organisations which employ English Language teachers.
Every Centre is approved by Cambridge ESOL and every course is moderated by an external assessor and follows a set syllabus. This means that the Cambridge CELTA is to the same high standard wherever it is taken.
The assessment consists of 2 parts: Teaching Practice and Written Assignments.
The Pre-Course Task
Once you have been accepted on the course we send you a pre-course task. This is designed to get you thinking about the areas covered on the course and takes around 20 hours to complete depending on your previous knowledge.
It is not assessed, in fact we give you the answer key, but may be referred to during the month, so you need to bring it with you.
To avoid disappointment, we strongly advise you to apply early. That way, you can be sure of getting the course date and accommodation you want. Click on CELTA application to download the form.
For further information and a copy of the syllabus, visit the Cambridge ESOL website.